Friday, October 11, 2024

Achieving Your Ideal Birth: One Mother's Story (Excerpt)

Following the birth of her daughter Emory and her son Everett, both delivered by an OB/GYN she called phenomenal, Natalie Demler was greeted with the news that her longtime provider was leaving the area.

She found out three weeks before her due date.

"I'd been with him since I turned 21," Natalie said. "We had a really close bond; he was with us during our miscarriage. I was pretty devastated that he was leaving and worried about how things were going to go. That's when I found Kay."

In her search for a new provider, Natalie contacted Women's Care of Wisconsin, and the receptionist felt that midwife Kay Weina would be a great fit for her. Natalie asked around and heard nothing but good things ("Kay's amazing!" "You'll love her!").

At 35 weeks, Natalie met Weina for the first time and transferred her care to the midwife.

"She hugged me, and immediately asked if I wanted a tour around the facility and to look at the room," Natalie said. "She was so personable and right away I had a feeling that everything was going to be fine, that she was going to take good care of me and the baby."

Weina made clear that whatever vision Natalie had for the birth was the way they were going to make it happen.

"Birth is sacred and spiritual for every woman, and it's every woman's own unique experience to bring a child in the world," Natalie said. "My husband and I prayed every day that we'd find the perfect provider, one who believes in you and helps you through intense moments. 

I knew Kay was going to be there for me. She made me feel safe."

*    *    *

Kay delivered Elsie Rae on July 13, 2023

"Kay was phenomenal during labor, cheering me on. Jake was encouraging me the whole time. I focused in on what I needed to do. With Kay and Jake's support, Elsie was born into a room full of love and joy." 



No comments:

Post a Comment